The man jailed for the White House Farm murders says he is “filled with hope” of release after submitting the latest legal challenge against his conviction.
Jeremy Bamber, 60, is serving a whole-life sentence for the 1985 killings of his adoptive parents Nevill and June, both 61, his sister Sheila Caffell, 26, and her six-year-old twins Daniel and Nicholas.
Bamber claims he has “multiple grounds” for an appeal, including evidence that his trial jury did not have the “full facts” and were “misled”.
The Criminal Cases Review Commission received his submission on Wednesday and will now decide whether the case should be referred to the Court of Appeal for a second time.
Mark Newby, Bamber’s solicitor, said: “Mr Bamber is going back to the CCRC because he got a significant amount of fresh evidence to show the conviction is unsafe.
“It is now for the CCRC to decide.”
The evidence is said to include records showing a call was made from Nevill Bamber’s phone to his son 10 minutes before Jeremy called the police.
Mr Newby said: “If, as a result of the fresh evidence, it is accepted there were two calls, including one call from his father and one from Jeremy, then it is an impossibility for Jeremy Bamber to have been at the scene at the relevant time to have committed the offences.”
The lawyer said there were eight grounds for appeal, including claims Essex Police tampered with the scene and that officers saw signs of life inside the house while they were with Bamber outside.
Last year, ITV dramatised the killings in Tolleshunt D’Arcy, near Maldon, Essex, in a six-part series called White House Farm starring Freddie Fox.
Bamber claims that his adopted sister Sheila, who had schizophrenia, killed her family and then herself.
Detectives accepted this version of events until relatives found a silencer at the farm that was said to contain her blood.
Suspicions solidified when Bamber’s ex-girlfriend told police he had discussed killing his family.
The CCRC application is based on 347,000 pages of evidence that were recently released under a 30-year rule.
It is the third time Bamber has sent an application to the CCRC, which refused to refer his case in 2012.
The Court of Appeal also rejected a request for a hearing in 1989.
Bamber was granted an appeal in 2002 after the case was referred by the CCRC, but it was later dismissed.
Decades of court case failures
Jeremy Bamber is a veteran when it comes to failed court challenges.
The convicted mass-murderer has frequently launched legal appeals during his 36 years behind bars.
Last year, he lost an attempt to bring legal action over his status as a maximum-security prisoner.
He had sought permission to challenge a decision taken in March by a Prison and Probation Service director not to downgrade him from Category A.
He had an appeal against his convictions dismissed by the Court of Appeal in 2002. And in 2012, a High Court challenge to the CCRC’s refusal to refer his case for appeal was rejected.